Saturday, June 16, 2012

Burlap Pom Pom Tutorial

Did you like the pretty pom poms hanging 
above my lil picnic yesterday?
Today I'll show you how to make the burlap one! :)

Materials:
1-2 Yards of Burlap OR 1 Lg Coffee Bag
Cutting Mat and Rotary Cutter OR Fabric Scissors
Embroidery Floss and Needle
Med/Lg Styrofoam Ball
Hot Glue and Glue Gun
10" piece of Ribbon or Twine

Cut your burlap into 6" strips- on the bias so the ruffles don't fray. 
 If you used a coffee bag, cut the seams off of the ends.
 Fold each ruffle in half the long way, and hand sew large stitches
along the folded side, all the way across. 
 Pull the thread tight, to gather the fabric into a ruffle.
Knot the thread tight to hold it all in place.  
Repeat with all of your burlap strips.
 Now glue the ruffles onto the ball, fold/sewn side down.
(I just made a ball out of scraps, 
but I wouldn't recommend it; it was pretty heavy)
 Continue to glue all of the ruffles on all around the ball.
I glued some in straight lines and some back on forth.
 When you only have one small opening left showing on the ball,
put a blob of hot glue down, fold your twine into a loop,
and glue the ends down to the ball. 
 Then smear lots of glue all around the area 
just to be sure it will stay put.

Glue one more ruffle around the top, 
hiding the ends of the twine, but keeping the loop out.
 Make a few! Hang them in your garden, inside for a party,
at your wedding, or in any room you want to add texture!
 I think mine will land in my pool room when its done,
we'll see! :) Did you like the white lacy pom pom too?
Next week I'll share how I made that one! :)

-Sylvie








Funky Junk Interiors
Linked to: funkyjunkinteriors.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for figuring this out. Can't wait to make one or 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob! :) Send me a pic when you are done! :)

      Delete
  2. Are the 6 inch cuts for length or width?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect perfect perfect for making fabric poms!!! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a lil love, it makes my day! :)